How do you know when independent living is not the best option for you or your loved one’s quality of life?
Changes in life are often difficult to identify or really understand, especially if it’s someone in your family that you’re close to. Services offered in assisted living often benefit individuals that need a little to a lot of support. This helps keep them as independent as they are able, for as long as possible.
Here are some identifiers that may help you know when it’s time for assisted living:
- Weight loss. Missing meals could be a sign of depression or dementia. However, more often than not, it might just be that shopping and preparing meals is too much to handle.
- Diagnosed with dehydration or malnutrition. This could be from forgetting to eat or drink, or because they are unable to shop or prepare meals.
- Frequent illness, hospitalizations, or EMS visits.
- Confusion. Bills unpaid, stove left on, unsure what day or time it is. Frequent lost items. They may be too confused to call for help.
- Medication errors. Taking the wrong dose, or forgetting medication, or taking expired medication.
- Thermostat set at extreme temperatures.
- Poor hygiene. Doesn’t shower or bathe, spends the day in pajamas.
- Refusing visits from family members in order to conceal deterioration.
- Someone who is normally outgoing becomes socially withdrawn.
- Concerns about driving. Doesn’t recall how they arrived at destination, automobile in disrepair, fender benders, or other accident damage on car.
- Neighbors report loved one wandering aimlessly in neighborhood.
- Cost of private in-home health/companion care they require is becoming too expensive.
SilverCreek on Main in Maple Grove, Minnesota is committed to providing excellent senior care through an engaging lifestyle of wellness, independence, dignity, and care for residents. If you’re curious about what life is like in our assisted living community, schedule a tour. We’re here for you when it’s time to navigate care and support resources, and we’re here to guide you.